Robert L. Benz, MD FACP FASN CV and Biosketch – Experience
- Curriculum Vitae Link (30 pages: to download click link HERE)
- Biosketch – see below
- Vice President of Medical Affairs, Lankenau Medical Center ( 9+ years) – Inaugural VPMA.
- Administrative and Financial Experience
- Chair of Multiple Committees, RCA, Value/Savings, Quality and Safety etc, work closely with Chiefs and Chairs, Administration and Nursing
- Oversaw Operations for Oncology Service Line, Nutrition and Transplantation
- Work closely with Peer-Review and Legal/Liability/Risk Team
- Took on difficult situations for LMC and MLH including sexual harassment, liabilities, disruptive behavior, peer reviews and documentation issues
- Chair Committees (Past and Present): Safety, Quality, Mortality, UMC (Utilization Management), MOC (Medical Operations Committee), COC (Clinical Operations Committee), Medical Records Committee, Development, Search Committees
- Past President of Lankenau Hospital Medical Staff
- Past President Nephrology Associates
- System Chief, Division of Nephrology, MLH – Inaugural System Chief
- System Wide Projects in Safety, Nutrition, Medical Records, Cost Savings/Revenue Enhancement, Culture of Safety
- Medical Executive Committee >10 years; VP of committee
- Co-Chair Clinical Integration with TJU
- LIMR (Lankenau Institute for Medical Research) Board of Directors and Vice Chair (past)
- Safety Hero Award (Main Line Health) – Inaugural recipient
- Chief Nephrology, Main Line Health (25 years)
- Professor of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Sidney Kimmel Medical College
- 2016 National Kidney Foundation Honoree for Excellence in Clinical Care
- Medical Director Haverford Dialysis Unit > 14 years
- 20 consecutive years voted “Top Doctor ” Philadelphia Magazine awards (2002-2022), multiple recognition awards i.e. US News and World Reports, Consumer Reports, Main Line Life Magazine
- Private Practice greater than 35 years
- US News and World Report Recognition for Best In Region Division of Nephrology
- Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Board Member of Residency Review Committee – Internal Medicine
(Representing American Society of Nephrology and American College pf Physicians on Committee)x 6+ years.
- Program Director Internal Medicine > 5 years
- Program Director of Nephrology Fellowship Program > 14 years (zero citations most recent ACGME review).
- Teacher of the Year Award
- Over 130 publications including peer-reviewed articles, book chapters and abstracts
- Millions of research grant dollars brought in to/through LIMR via clinical trials
- Co-PI on HEMO (7-year NIH Study on adequacy of Dialysis)
- Co-Chair Quality of Life Committee for NIH HEMO Trial
- Blue Ribbon Research Award (American Society of Nephrology)
- Lectured or Scientific Presentations in 13 Countries/ over 100 Cities
- Past Vice-Chair Institutional Review Board (Research Review Committee), > 10 years
- Professor of Medicine, LIMR
Community and Board Memberships
- National Kidney Foundation “Excellence of Care” Award, March 10, 2016, Philadelphia Pa
- University of Pennsylvania, Life Sciences and Management Program, Board of Directors
- Penn Grapplers’ Alumni Board of Directors, University of Pennsylvania
- Class-Reunion Speaker at Jefferson Medical College
- Mentorship Programs with American Society Nephrology, National Kidney Foundation, Renal Physicians Association, American College of Physicians and University of Pennsylvania Undergraduate Programs
- Lower Merion Educational Foundation Board of Directors (past)
- National Kidney Foundation Advisory Board (Delaware Valley)
- Past Industry Advisory Board Memberships: Amgen, Ortho Biotech/J&J, Renal Care Group, Abbott Renal Care, others.
- President: Robert L. Benz and Drs. Marie Uberti-Benz Charitable Foundation
Major Areas of Clinical Research Focus and Publication
- Anemia of Chronic Kidney Disease (Keynote Speaker at launch of Procrit, Keynote speaker at 10th year anniversary of EPOGEN).
- Sleep disorders in Chronic Kidney Disease (Blue Ribbon Award from ASN)
- Adequacy of Dialysis (Co-PI for HEMO Study)
- Vitamin D in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Acute Renal Failure (Acute Kidney Injury)
- Value-Based Medical Decision Making
- President, Eminent Domains Inc.: Internet, Domain Names and website business. Current active sites include MedicalResearch.com, among others.
- Previously developed and sold RentalCars.com, HighBloodPressure.com, HeartDisease.com, Anemia.com, SummerCamps.com and DudeRanches.com.
- Contact: BobBenz@gmail.com